Thursday, December 5, 2013

Thoughts on Advent, Day 5: 

“Trust in the Lord Forever!  For the Lord is an eternal Rock,” Is 26:4




     How comforting to know that our God is always there and never changes.  God is always available whenever we need to talk something out, lament, cry, laugh, pray, or just rest.  We don't need to worry about making an appointment, choosing the right words or looking a certain way.   We can just be who we are and know that we are loved.  Every Sunday in Advent I look forward to being nourished in my relationship with God during Sunday Mass so that I can live my life with kindness, peace and generosity.  I feel compelled to go out and do good after receiving the Eucharist and being part of the Body of Christ during Liturgy.  

     During Advent this year I want to become more intimate in my relationship with Jesus to prepare for his coming in a special way at Christmas.  I am waiting and hoping for renewal in my faith at Christmas.  I am attempting to read the daily readings of the church every morning (http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/120513.cfm).  In the last 5 days, I have remembered to do that twice!  I hope that by writing this blog I can hold myself accountable for doing the reading and recording my thoughts. 

     Our family tradition during Advent is to keep an advent wreath on our kitchen table.  This year I didn't remember to buy the special pink and purple candles until December 2 but it doesn't really matter because we are preparing, expecting and waiting.  And we haven't lit them yet, but I hope to be able to do that this week.  Another tradition we have is pushing back the secular celebration of Christmas until December 25.  I have to explain it to the children every year,  because "everyone else in the neighborhood" has put up lights and decorated their Christmas trees.  We like to buy our tree the weekend before Christmas and then by Christmas we have it decorated with lights, family ornaments and most years with a train around the tree.  We also put up a special Advent calendar that was made lovingly by my sister Jill and her family when we got married 23 years ago.  

     What are your family traditions during Advent?  Do you find it difficult to hold back Christmas and prepare during Advent?   I hope that you enjoy this little blog.  Check back in tomorrow.  I hope to have remembered to post my thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. One of my frustrations with this season is that the secular world views Christmas as starting from Halloween on. In fact it doesn't begin until December 25 and it lasts through January. But more often retailers roll everything up on the 26th and move on to the next holiday. Thank you for reminding us that we are in the season of preparation and that Christmas is a Holy Day not a holiday to make money.

    ReplyDelete